The following is an excerpt from Miss Caroline's School by Madge M. Steelman.
"In 1863 John and Phoebe Steelman and their ten children moved from Springfield, Ohio to Southern Indiana. The following year John bought the adjoining farm for a friend in Springfield, Norman Knaub. Norman and Caroline Knaub also had ten children."
"Their new homes were four miles from church or school. Their neighbors taught their children at home until they were old enough to walk to town to school. Some of the children were taught very little because their parents were uneducated. These were fine people, owning good farms, living well according to their time, and eager for anything that would enrich their lives. They welcomed the suggestion that they should build a church and a school."
"On a corner of the Steelman farm they built two buildings, alike except for the furnishings. They started Sunday School and organized a class which would later become a Methodist Church."
The photograph of the exterior of the Steelman Chapel was taken in 1994 by Eugene and Lucie Field. The interior was photographed in 1968 by Howard and Miriam Grasz Field. Unfortunately, by the summer of 1999 the chapel had been demolished. In the nearly 30 years between photographs much deterioration had occured. Even between a visit in 1994 and 1997 the chapel had begun to slide off its foundation. None of the interior furnishings remained. In 1968 the building was well painted and still used as a chapel. We felt this was a historical treasure of Gibson County, Indiana and should have been preserved.
Photo of the monument courtesy of Stephen Ahlfeld. Stephen is a 3rd great-gandson of Norman Keith Knaub and Caroline A. McCartney.